The consistency between the different recordings within the same episode is more important than getting one recording drier than the other. Inconsistency will lead to additional efforts in post-production and in worst cases will require re-recordings of full sessions.
The aim for iDub recordings is:
- Similar output (Acoustic and frequency range) of all VT recordings.
- Good quality recordings
- Clean recordings (limit the background noises to zero if possible)
- Consistent output within the same session/same actor
- If possible place booth in a dry room -> bedroom e.g.
- If possible place booth on a carpet -> acoustic decoupling
- Make sure to have as many items in the room as possible: Draw the curtains, place clothes drying rack with the linen, distribute blankets and pillows. The more “mass” of cloth there is in the room, the better
- Disconnect electronic devices in the room from the power supply (except iDub kit :)) to avoid additional noises, close doors & windows.
Prior to session please make sure to Instruct the VT to:
Depending on the room, the distance must be reduced so that the signal can be used in relation to the room and is compatible with other recordings. The consistency between different recordings is more important than getting one recording drier than the other, because inconsistency means the biggest additional effort in post-production
- Adjust the microphone to the height of the chin
- Place the iPad so that the angle of incidence = angle of reflection does not reflect the sound back to the microphone
- The distance from the VT to the microphone should be at least 30cm – ideally 70-90cm for LipSync if the dryness of the recording room allows.
During recordings it is important to pay extra attention to:
- Avoid noise on the microphone: VT must speak over the microphone, always blow or breathe loudly past the microphone to the left or right.
- Pay extra attention to VT not touching the mic stand during recording.
- Female voices can be more problematic than male voices because they have a greater impact on the room. Therefore, more attention should be paid to acoustics with female actresses. Be particularly aware of microphone distance and acoustics when recording females.